20-0702 PV Roof Coverage Clarification
- Fire fighter pathways: accessible perimeter around edges of roof, required by the International Fire Code (Section 605.11)
- Ballasted PV panel area: including ballast and support framework
- PV shadowing: between sloped PV panels
- PV aisles: spacing to allow maintenance access and roof egress
- Roof drain access: cleaning and maintenance access
Projects must be designed and include solar photovoltaics within the project area that are equivalent to at least75% of the available roof area, using standard industry practice for PV installation and maintenance accessibility within that 75%. (See Dialogue post titled "19-0204 v3.x Available Roof Area").
Fire fighter pathways, ballasted PV panel areas, PV shadowing, and PV aisles may be included in the 75% of available roof area used for PV system. The team is encouraged to maximize on-site PV as much as possible, while ensuring safety and functionality.
Roof drain access is not considered "available roof area" and therefore should not be included in the 75% of available roof area used for the PV system.