20-1113 Different types of human-scaled vehicle parking
To meet the bicycle parking requirements according to the petal handbook, we should install bicycle racks for a minimum of 15% of occupants. We anticipate a total of 750 workers in the building which would require a minimum of 113 bicycle parkings.
After analyzing the current reality of human powered vehicles in Barcelona, we came to the following conclusions:
- There is an increasing number of people using bicycles in Barcelona.
- There has been an explosion in the use of regular and electrical scooters and the amount of people using electrical scooters keeps rising. They are light, not expensive and ideal for moving around in the city.
- A large number of people that use bikes in Barcelona use foldable bikes. This is due to the fact that a lot of bikes get stolen, so people prefer to invest in a foldable bike they can take inside.
- A lot of people take their electrical scooter or the foldable bike into the building and close to where they work.
To provide parking spaces for all these different types of human/electrical single person transport modes, we would like to divide the 133 parking spaces among the following types of parking:
- Regular bicycle parking spaces
- Parking spaces for scooters (both electrical and regular)
- Parking spaces for foldable bikes (plegabox)
We also propose to divide those spaces among the building and not centralize them in one central parking. This would correspond to the trend of people taking their foldable bikes and electrical scooters into the building and close to their workspace.
This proposal would result in parking spaces for 15% of workers but divided in different type of single transport vehicles which will be used by future occupants.
The proposed general strategy meets the intent of the imperative, but note that the base number of spaces, 15% of building occupants, should include anticipated visitors. In its documentation, the project team will need to provide a rationale and calculation for its determination of which types of parking are provided where, that addresses accommodation for both regular building occupants and visitors.